What are the benefits of oats milk?
To understand the benefits we must first of all understand what we are talking about.
What is oats milk?
Oats milk also known as oats water, is a vegetable beverage made from oats, which is a grain rich in nutrients and properties.
Let’s see some properties of oats milk:
- Reduces LDL cholesterol (the famous bad cholesterol), regulates blood sugar levels, promotes intestinal health: in fact it has a high content of soluble fibres, also called Beta-glucans which slow down the absorption of fats and sugars and promote intestinal transit.
- Regulates blood pressure: being rich in numerous antioxidants, it stimulates the production of nitric oxide, a molecule with vaso-dilating activity.
- Reduces inflammation: thanks to the antioxidant content, it counteracts oxidative stress and inflammatory states.
However, it should be emphasized that during the production process of the oats drink, many of these nutrients and typical properties of the cereal are either reduced or lost.
It is interesting to understand, however, that compared to cow’s milk, oats milk is less rich in protein, calcium and vitamin D and is richer in carbohydrates and simple sugars.
Usually it fits in the context of lactose intolerances or vegan nutrition, however, before buying it, it is important to understand which characteristics we must pay attention to.
How to choose oats water or oats milk?
First of all, oats milk is easily found on the market even in common supermarkets and not necessarily specialized in vegan products.
As we have said in the benefits of oats milk, in the form of a drink it contains a poor nutritional quality.
It is therefore important to pay attention to some characteristics, for example, preferring the versions without added sugars and fortified with calcium and vitamin D.
If consumed for breakfast, it may be useful to add a good protein source, for example, by combining whole grains and nuts, or a yogurt.
Oats milk can also be prepared at home
Homemade oats milk preparation
Let’s see how to prepare oats milk at home:
- Whole oats flour
- unsweetened whole oat flakes, or whole oat grains, from organic farming and, possibly, from local cultivations.
- Boil the water, to the extent of one part of oats and five parts of water.
- Let the oats sit in the liquid, with the fire off, for at least 8 hours, adding cane sugar or honey as desired.
- After the 8 hours, blend everything to best mince the oat fibres.
- The beverage is ready and can be stored in glass containers in the refrigerator for 4 days.
Discover also the RECIPES WITH OATS MILK