Properties and benefits of apricots!
The properties and benefits of apricots are many: This fruit is in fact rich in therapeutic properties and nutrients very good for the health of our organism.
Apricots scientifically called Prunus armeniaca, are known since ancient times: in fact they were already appreciated in 3000 B.C. in China, where Chinese women ate apricots to promote fertility. Thanks to the Arabs apricots came to the Mediterranean.
The apricot is a fruit rich in vitamins, especially carotenoids, vitamin A and C.
The high presence of minerals such as potassium, phosphorus, sodium, iron and calcium makes it a valid supplement in cases of anemia, tiredness, convalescence; moreover potassium also helps in physical activity during the summer months.
Apricots may also be slightly laxative due to their sorbitol content. However it is still full of water and fibres, hence it is an aid for the bowel’s regularity and balance. Apricots that are not fresh but cooked or processed lose their active principles as a result of the cooking.
Apricots properties: Benefits of apricots
- FIGHT TIREDNESS and ANEMIA: Apricots can fight anemia and tiredness because they are rich in water (about 85%), protein, fibres, mineral salts, including calcium, sodium, potassium and phosphorus and iron, vitamins, including the C, A and PP.
- HELP LOSE WEIGHT: Apricots help you lose weight because they have a very low calorie intake, approximately about 28 calories per 100 grams of apricot pulp This peculiarity makes it suitable for diets and for those who must lose weight or simply remain in shape. They also have a high fibre content and help the digestive process and also improve metabolism.
- ANTIOXIDANT: The fresh Apricots contain vitamin C which is an antioxidant and helps our body develop a resistance against infectious agents and against the harmful effects of free radicals.
- HELP SKIN, BONES and EYES: Apricots are rich in vitamin A that helps the development of bones and contrasts the formation of osteoporosis. The Potassium instead, prevents various disorders of the nervous and muscular system. Vitamin A is also capable of stimulating the production of melanin: substance that protects the skin.
- HELP THE BOWEL and ARE LAXATIVE: Apricots improve the intestinal functions thanks to the mineral salts and dietary fibres contained. However if you exaggerate with the quantity consumed, this may induce laxative effects due to the sorbitol contained.
- LOWER CHOLESTEROL: Apricots lower cholesterol because they are very rich in soluble fibre. Hence a moderate consumption of fresh apricots helps to keep under control the blood glucose and cholesterol levels.
- REGULATE BLOOD PRESSURE: Apricots balance our arterial pressure, preventing the formation of plaques on the inner wall of the arteries, hence improving the cardiac functions and help the heart.
Apricots are also good for tanning, discover which other foods can help you stay tanned.
Take a look at our tried and tested method: Anti-Diet