The Avocado is the fruit of the avocado tree, belonging to the Lauraceae family and cultivated mainly in tropical areas, such as Mexico, Peru or Brazil, but recently its cultivation has also been moved to Italy and Spain. Spain produces several varieties, and it is grown in Italy in areas of Sicily and Sardinia.
What do we know about avocado?
The fruit has the shape of a pear or a large egg, has a green skin, which becomes darker and tending to black as the fruit ripens and a single large seed inside.
Although it is a fruit, in reality, its characteristics and its nutritional values are different from the fresh fruit we are used to. In fact, it is most commonly used for savory preparations and is considered primarily a source of fat, as it is rich in nutrients and properties.
Benefits of Avocado
It is a fruit rich in so-called “good” fats that can bring numerous health benefits. And it is also suitable for a low-calorie diet.
Rich in good fats, fibres and minerals, avocado boasts numerous properties:
- Rich in vitamins, minerals and antioxidant molecules, it reduces inflammation and, therefore, the risk of developing associated diseases.
- Full of bioactive molecules, it reduces the risk of cancer.
- Very rich in antioxidants and fibres, it reduces the risk of developing the Metabolic Syndrome, a disease characterized by the coexistence of several factors, including hyperglycemia, dyslipidemia and hypertension.
- It has a good percentage of fibre, and is therefore able to promote intestinal transit and improve the levels of fats and sugars in the blood.
- It also contains a high content of monounsaturated fatty acids (MUFA), reduces cholesterol levels and LDL (bad) cholesterol, favouring the increase of HDL (good) cholosterol.
Nutritional values of Avocado
What are the nutritional values of Avocado?
100 g of avocado provide:
- 231 kcal
- Protein 4.4 g
- Fat 23 g
- Saturated fat 2.5 g
- Monounsaturated fatty acids 18.3 g
- Polyunsaturated fatty acids 1.4 g
- Carbohydrates 1.8 g
- Sugars 1.8 g
- Fibers 3.3 g
This excellent fruit also lends itself to many vegetable and vegan preparations such as the famous guacamole.
Plus if you are interested in proper nutrition, natural remedies and naturopathy
discover our MASTER IN NATUROPATHY